Vallucciole

13/04/1944

Premeditated occupation of territory accompanied by indiscriminate reprisal

Shortly after the armistice of September 8th 1943, favoured by the presence of extensive forests and mountains, and its strategic proximity to Monte Falterona, Vallucciole was where the first partisan formations of the Comitato Provinciale di Concentrazione Antifascista (C.P.C.A.) cane into being. Chosen as the site for an arms cache by the Stia resistance group on September 13th, in early autumn the hamlet became a garrison for the entire Aretine Resistance forces, and within a month was housing more than 100 partisans and about thirty ex-prisoners of war of the British army, most of whom had escaped from prison camps in Renicci and Laterina. The successes and incursions of the partisans, led by Major Aldo Caponi, soon became intolerable for the fascist military authorities. Exploiting its powerful apparatus of denunciation and espionage, the 96th Legion of the G.N.R., led by Lieutenant Emilio Vecoli and Sergeant Umberto Cerasi Abbatecola, as early as the end of October 1943 had become aware of the importance of the Falterona base. On November 10th, the two fascists led a thoroughgoing rounding-up operation in the upper Casentino. They succeeded in intercepting a load of supplies vital to the Resistance at Molin di Bucchio and killing the young Arezzo student Pio Borri, a leading figure in the anti-fascist movement. The gravity of the situation led to the immediate disbanding of Caponi’s men, followed by the complete withdrawal of partisans from the area until April 11th 1944. In spite of this, the Stia fascists and the municipal authorities of the Fascio Repubblicano inexplicably continued to maintain the fiction of Vallucciole as a “partisan hideout”, providing false information to the German Commands, actively collaborating in drawing up maps with detailed information on the partisans’ supposed activities, and urging a punitive action that would deal a final blow to the inhabitants of this area. Partly because of this information, the Germans included the southern side of the Falterona in a rounding-up operation already planned at the beginning of April 1944 with the more general aim of clearing the eastern Apennine strip of Tuscany of armed gangs and their civilian supporters. It was under this operation that on April 11th 1944 three officers of the 2nd and 4th companies of the Hermann Göring’s Expeditionary Division went to Molin di Bucchio, the same companies that would assult 109 civilians with unprecedented violence two days later. Two of the soldiers were killed by a squad of Florentine partisans of the Faliero Pucci detachment in transit at that time from Monte Giovi towards San Paolo in Alpe. This episode, as historians have demonstrated, was an additional factor in confirming the intention to round up the inhabitants of the hamlet, a decision already documented at the end of March 1944. At dawn on April 13th 1944, about 500 paratroopers of the Fallschirm-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung, who had previously arrived in Stia on board “four small tanks with open turrets, about 50 small four-seater amphibious vehicles and an even larger number of sidecars, three trucks, two 6- or 8-wheeled armoured cars, and a large radio truck” poured into the Vallucciole valley, where an unsuspecting population of about 130 poor farmers’ families was awaiting them. Setting off in three directions (Giuncheto, Moiano and Serelli), the paratroopers, led by local fascists in disguise, stormed every house, immediately killing old people, women and children, plundering furniture and livestock and finally setting fire to the houses. The few men present in the village were forced to carry crates all day long under the threat of machine-guns as the Germans frantically searched for partisans. The men were the helpless witnesses of the paratroopers’ violence as they exterminated the girls and boys of the farms. At the end of the afternoon, most of these men were also to fall, mown down from behind by machine-guns in the fields of Giuncheto after being told they could leave unharmed. The bodies of 109 hapless innocents, gathered up and buried in the small cemetery by the pitying hands of the local clergy and volunteers of the Misericordia (Ambulance brigade) of Stia, remain to this day in this memorial as an eternal testimony to nazi madness. If any guilt is comparable to the atrocious German violence (which included the butchering of a newborn baby by slamming its head against a wall), it is that of the Italian spies and collaborators who, concealed by masks and uniforms, took part in the massacre.

The Voices

Rino Andreucci

Crediti: Località Vallucciole. Riprese di Sergio Spiganti e intervista di Simone Duranti realizzata il 12/02/2003.

Maria Vadi

Crediti: Località Vallucciole. Riprese di Sergio Spiganti e intervista di Simone Duranti realizzata il 12/02/2003

Mario Vadi

Crediti: Località Vallucciole. Riprese di Sergio Spiganti e intervista di Simone Duranti realizzata il 12/02/2003.

Salvatore Vecchioni

Crediti: Località la Mausolea di Soci. Riprese di Pier Angelo Bonazzoli e interviste degli studenti della scuola media di Soci, realizzata il 12/11/2001.

The Signs

Lapidi del viale di accesso al Cimitero di Stia

Informations

Place of placement: Cimitero di Stia

Date of placement:

Description

Grande lapide all'ngresso del cimitero monumentale di stia in pietra serena con scritte in metallo.

Personal observations

News and contextualisation

Gallery:

Author: Alessandro Bargellini

Monument to the Dead in the Vallucciole massacre - Stia

Informations

Place of placement: Flowerbed next to the former Town Hall

Date of placement: 23/04/2006

Description

This Monument to the Fallen is dedicated to the 108 civilian victims of the massacre of Vallucciole, a hamlet of what was then the Municipality of Stia (in 2014 Stia was merged with Pratovecchio, which became the new municipal seat). The massacre was carried out on April 13th 1944 by German troops of the Fallschirm-Panzer-Division 1 "Hermann Göring", during the rounding-up operations conducted against partisans in the Tuscan-Romagna Apennines. In 2006 it replaced an earlier monument created by the students of the Scuola del Ferro Battuto di Stia (Wrought Iron School of Stia) in 1984 and which was moved to the driveway of the old cemetery of Stia. A conceptual sculpture, “Vallucciole a ferro e fuoco” (Vallucciole put to fire and sword), it was created by the Umbrian artist Paolo Massei. It is in the shape of a tall rectangular marble slab, its upper part roughly slashed off at an angle. In the centre is a grey half-sphere from which four rivulets in relief flow downwards. Behind the marble slab is a tall rectangular metal panel. The monument is surrounded on four sides by an evergreen hedge. In front of it there is a stone carrying a rectangular bronze plaque engraved with the title, the name of the sculptor and the year of installation.

Personal observations

News and contextualisation

Gallery:

Author: Alessandro Bargellini

"Queen of Peace" monument to the martyrs of Vallucciole

Informations

Place of placement: Roadside

Date of placement: 01/10/2011

Description

The “Queen of Peace” statue is situated in a small chapel. It depicts the Holy Virgin with a sad face, kneeling with joined hands, in an attitude of prayer. It is dedicated to the people of Vallucciole and neighbouring farmhouses who were executed on April 13th 1944 by units of the German Hermann Göring Division.

Personal observations

News and contextualisation

Gallery:

Author: Liceo Petrarca Arezzo

Oratory-shrine with memorial stone to the martyrs of Vallucciole

Informations

Place of placement: Church of Vallucciole

Date of placement:

Description

This memorial, located in Vallucciole in the municipality of Stia, is an item of historical importance. A mountain village, Vallucciole was a place of refuge for the first partisans of the Casentino; later it was destroyed by the Germans on April 13th 1944. In a brutal massacre, 43 men, 43 women and 22 children were shot or burnt alive in their farmhouses by German troops. The memorial is situated in the oratory of the church and records the massacre of the village’s inhabitants. On account of the presence of the epigraph commemorating those who died for their country, it is considered a shrine. The oratory is closed, but the list of the Fallen inside the building, killed on April 13th 1944, has been recovered.

Personal observations

The oratory is not well maintained and what is worse, it is always closed. The area behind the church is in a state of neglect. The road to the oratory is in disrepair. At the beginning of the road there is a signpost of the Sentieri della Libertà (Pathways of Freedom): its left side shows a map with its key, its right side gives an account of the partisan retreat of April 1944 and the violence against civilians. It seems strange that such a massacre could have taken place in such a peaceful setting. Nevertheless, all these people were killed here. In this isolated spot in the Apennines there were more victims than at the Fosse Ardeatine, but since this is not Rome, it has not resonated to the same extent in the collective imaginary.

News and contextualisation

Gallery:

Author: Liceo Petrarca Arezzo